Are you looking at homes for sale in British Columbia? White Rock is the perfect place for anyone who wants a small-town feel with big-city amenities. It is close enough to Vancouver that you can enjoy all of its culture and excitement, but its tight-knit community makes it perfect for raising a family or those looking to settle into retirement! White Rock’s views are stunning, being so close to the ocean, and the city offers plenty of things to do. Continue reading to find out more about what makes White Rock a special place to live.
More About White Rock Real Estate
White Rock is a city in British Columbia situated on the banks of Semiahmoo Bay and is part of the Metro Vancouver Area. It’s about five square kilometres (nearly two sq mi), has a population of over 19,000 people, and is close to Surrey, Langley, Richmond, and Abbotsford. White Rock is named after a nearly 500-ton boulder that sailors used as a landmark due to its eye-catching nature from the water.
White Rock offers an appealing environment for those who enjoy spending time in green spaces and has a lot of nearby parks that make it easy to get outside. This ocean-side city is known for its sunny weather, and since it’s situated away from the Coast Mountains, it has its own climate and weather system which allows White Rock to be sunnier than the rest of the Greater Vancouver Area! This is great since White Rock is a place you want to be outdoors.
From hosting several events each year to enjoying the stunning coastline, exploring the parks, perusing the many shops and restaurants, or attending any of the multiple events hosted by the city of White Rock each year, this is a place where you’ll want to plant some roots!
White Rock, BC Real Estate
Whether you are looking for a detached single-family home, condo or townhome, you can find them all for sale in White Rock. There’s truly a home to meet everyone’s needs, with about 40% of residences being small apartment buildings. The rest are a mixture of duplexes, single detached homes, and larger apartment buildings.
While several homes were built before 1960, about one-third were constructed during the 1960s to 1980s. Most homes for sale in White Rock, regardless of type, average between 2-4 bedrooms and two bathrooms.
White Rock real estate properties stay on the market for about 42 days with new listings nearly every day! Real Estate in White Rock sells on average around $1.2 million, which is less than Vancouver’s average of $1.3 million. This makes White Rock homes for sale relatively more affordable than the major city of Vancouver.
White Rock is a small city with no distinct neighbourhoods. The only real border in this city is the restaurants and other attractions located downtown, known as Uptown. What makes buying a home for sale in White Rock, BC unique is that the city is situated on a hill facing the bay. This means you’re almost guaranteed a waterfront view no matter where you live in this city!
Home Prices In White Rock, BC
- Average Real Estate Price: $1.2M
- Average Detached House: $2.9M
- Average Condo Price: $855K+
- Average Townhouse Price: $1.2M
White Rock Schools
There are four elementary schools, two secondary public schools that are a part of the School District 36 Surrey that service White Rock residents.
White Rock Elementary Schools
Bayridge Elementary School (GR K-7)
1730 142 St, Surrey, BC V4A 6G7
H.T. Thrift Elementary School (GR K-7)
1739 148 St, Surrey, BC V4A 4M6
Peace Arch Elementary School (GR K-7)
15877 Roper Ave, White Rock, BC V4B 2H5
White Rock Elementary School (GR K-7)
1273 Fir St, White Rock, BC V4B 5A6
White Rock Secondary Schools
Earl Marriott Secondary School (GR 8-12)
15751 16 Ave, Surrey, BC V4A 1S1
Semiahmoo Secondary School (GR 8-12)
1785 148 St, Surrey, BC V4A 4M6
White Rock Economy
White Rock has consistent job growth year-to-year with several economic industries. Health care, food, finance and management, and real estate construction are some main sectors you’ll find here. Most White Rock citizens are college-educated and if they don’t work local to White Rock, it’s not uncommon for them to commute to larger cities like Vancouver, Burnaby, or Richmond.
White Rock Transportation
Even though White Rock is a relatively small city that would normally make walking convenient, it’s also situated on a hill, making it hard to walk long distances. The most common way to get around White Rock is by vehicle. Highway 99 is nearby, connecting White Rock to Vancouver and transitioning to the U.S. Interstate 5 once it crosses the border. There are also bus routes servicing through the White Rock Centre transit exchange, and the BNSF Railway single-track runs parallel to the length of the White Rock beach promenade. The city doesn’t control the track. It’s just a thoroughfare used by Amtrack carrying passengers travelling to and from Vancouver and Seattle and transporting goods between Canada and the U.S.
Frequently Asked Questions About White Rock
What is the zip code for White Rock, BC?
The postal code for White Rock, BC, is V4B.
Where is the nearest commercial airport in White Rock, BC?
There are several airports near White Rock, BC. The three closest airports to White Rock, BC, are:
- 39km to Bellingham International Airport (BLI/KBLI)
- 39km to Abbotsford International Airport (YXX/CYXX)
- 42km to Vancouver International Airport (YVR/CYVR)
What is the closest hospital to White Rock, BC?
Peace Arch Hospital is located on the Northeast side of White Rock, BC. It’s situated near North Bluff Road, Finlay Street, and Russell Avenue.
What county is White Rock, BC in?
White Rock, BC, is in the Metro Vancouver Regional District.
Why is it called White Rock?
Legend says a large white rock was thrown across the water from Vancouver Island by an Indian sea god’s son. Believe what you want, but there is a massive white boulder that sits on the bank of Semiahmoo Bay. The landmark served as a guidepost during early maritime expeditions. Eventually, the land surrounding this giant rock was appropriately named White Rock.
Where is the best place to live in White Rock?
Because White Rock is so small, it’s hard to distinguish between the city’s good and bad parts. Anywhere you live in White Rock has the potential to be a great experience. White Rock is family-friendly, with well-kept yards, and a relatively safe and quiet environment.
How Much is a House in White Rock, BC?
The average price of all real estate in White Rock is $1.2M, but the average price varies depending on what type of home you want. Single-detached houses average $2.9M,condos average $855k+, and townhomes go for around $1.2M.
How far is Vancouver from White Rock, BC?
Vancouver is about 48 km or 54 minutes from White Rock, BC.
How far is the U.S./Canadian border from White Rock, BC?
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection is about 6 km or 12 minutes from White Rock, BC.
How far is Bellingham, WA from White Rock, BC?
Bellingham, WA, is nearly 44 km or about 40 minutes from White Rock, BC.
Things To Do In White Rock
White Rock is a coastal city known for its beautiful beaches and waterfront boardwalk that stretches along the shoreline of Semiahmoo Bay. The city has an active arts community with many galleries and studios to visit. There are also several festivals throughout the year, including the White Rock Sea Festival, which celebrates marine life and culture from around the world. There are plenty of things to do in White Rock, like walking or biking along trails at nearby parks or learning about local history. When it comes time to relax after exploring all day, head back down to the waterfront boardwalk to soak up the sunset views, or check out one of the many restaurants for delicious seafood dishes to top off your day!
- City Pier- The City Pier is one of White Rock’s most popular attractions. Stretching out 1,500 feet into Semiahmoo Bay, the pier was originally constructed in 1914 as a landing dock for steamships. Today, it’s a favourite spot for sightseeing families and couples looking to catch a beautiful sunset.
- Uli’s Restaurant- There’s something special about Uli’s Restaurant. Maybe it’s the eclectic, West Coast Bistro-inspired menu that reflects Uli Blume’s travels. Or maybe it’s Tyson Blume’s passion for sourcing high-quality, local ingredients. Whatever it is, one thing is for sure – you can taste the love and care that goes into every dish. You won’t be disappointed when you indulge in some of the best food White Rock has to offer!
- White Rock Beach- White Rock Beach is one of the most popular beaches in the Lower Mainland. With 20% more sunshine than Vancouver, it’s a great place to swim, windsurf, and jog. The west end of the beach has a number of picnic tables for visitors to enjoy.
- The Wooden Spoon- Voted as one of the best brunch spots in all of Vancouver, The Wooden Spoon has a colourful menu you’ve got to try! This restaurant is so popular, it’s best to make reservations, but it’s worth the hassle. Whether it be any of their bennys, a smoothie bowl, or huevos served in a cast-iron skillet, you’re sure to leave satisfied!
- Semiahmoo Park- Semiahmoo Park is a beautiful, 20-mile (32 km) park perfect for a summer day spent with friends and family. With its wide expanse of beach and beautiful views, there’s something for everyone here. Bring your barbecue and grill up some burgers while you enjoy the sun and sand. You can also bring your beach toys and go swimming or surfing in the waves. And don’t forget to bring your dog with you – they’re welcome here too!
- 1,001 Stairs- If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, climb the 1,001 stairs for an unbeatable view of Tsawwassen and Point Roberts. These historic stairs offer a unique way to experience the neighbourhood above the beach. The base of the stairs is hidden, and you have to know where to look. At Semiahmoo Park, there is a trail leading under a trestle bridge headed south. After walking the trail for a few minutes, you’ll come to the bottom of the stairs and from there you can start climbing!
- Zapoteca- At Zapoteca, they believe that food is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends. That’s why they serve up traditional Mexican dishes alongside popular favourites, all with a warm and inviting atmosphere. Their menu is always evolving, as new flavours and ideas inspire them, so you can always find something new to enjoy. Zapoteca is sure to be your go-to spot to experience the delicious goodness of Mexican cuisine!
- Golfing- White Rock is dubbed the Golfing Capital of Canada, and for a good reason. There are 15 golf courses within 15 minutes from White Rock centre! You’ll find most courses at all skill levels in nearby Surrey or Langley. Whether you’re a novice or a professional golfer looking for a challenge, there is a golf course for you.
- Pho 777 Vietnamese Restaurant- Pho 777 is a Vietnamese restaurant in White Rock that serves fine, authentic cuisine seven days a week. The family-owned and operated business offers Wi-Fi while you dine and take-out options, as well as beer and wine. The welcoming atmosphere makes it the perfect spot for a casual lunch or dinner, and the kids will love it too!
- Centennial & Ruth Johnson Park- Whether you’re looking for a vigorous workout or a leisurely stroll, Ruth Johnson Park has something for everyone. Come see nature at its finest, with towering trees, ferns, and steep topography sloping towards the waterfront. This beautiful park also features a variety of sports facilities, like baseball and soccer fields, plus a dog park where your furry friend can run free!