Sydney, NS Real Estate & Homes For Sale
Just Listed Sydney NS Homes For Sale
Beautiful family home in the heart of Sydney that is in close proximity to schools, shopping, downtown core and bus routes! The property has a beautifully groomed oversized lot and a detached and wired 24×24 garage! Recent updates include new Asphalt
Don't delay your viewing of this extra charming & spacious 5 bedroom & 2 bath family home in the south end of Sydney!!! Main floor offers eat-in kitchen, formal dining room with fireplace, formal living room with hardwood floors, laundry room and ful
A perfect rental opportunity presents itself in a fantastic location. Walking distance to grocery shopping, to the downtown core, bus routes, and also to the new NSCC waterfront campus. With 4 Bedrooms and a bathroom on both the main level and second
An immaculate 2 bedroom one storey home located in the heart of Ashby. The main floor has an open concept living room and kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a modern 3 pc bath with a shower. The owner uses the 22 foot long rec room in the basement as a separate
A prime location for a multi family conversion. Currently in need of repair yet holds great potential. A solid 5 bedroom 2 and a half bath located in the heart of Sydney situated on a large lot. Opportunities are knocking. Only minutes to the Regiona
Welcome Home. A perfect family oriented neighborhood in the heart of Ashby. A lovely level green level yard with a newer deck to relax and enjoy your evenings with family and friends. Recent upgrades include the electrical, Roofing shingles in 2021 r
Welcome to 23 Common Street! This well maintained bungalow is in a perfect location, only minutes from the Cape Breton regional hospital and short distance to the new NSCC waterfront campus and downtown sydney. The possibilities with this properry ar
Great 3 bedroom, 1 storey which features large living room with hardwood flooring, former lower apartment for extra income , with full bath and pellett stove, patio doors to oversized deck, attached garage, baby barn.All this on over a quarter acre l
Attractive cape cod with doulble garage immaculately kept in agreat subdivsion with CB Regional Hospital, CBU, Sydney airport and the Mayflower Mall all within a 5 to 10 minute drive!This attractive home features 4 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms. Main floor
A perfect lot in a high traffic area great for many uses and visibility is perfect for your newbuild or commercial operation of any type business. Across from the ball park and an ideal location for a food service, or whatever idea you may have for t
Beautiful 4 bedroom, 2-storey home in a great residential neighbourhood that is quiet, yet close to all amenities. Lots of recent upgrades including hardwood flooring on the main level and laminate flooring on the second level and basement. New furna
Welcome to this spectacular Tri Level home with 4 even levels complete. Kennedy Avenue provides a perfect balance offering a family oriented neighborhood while living in the heart of the city only minutes to the hospital and short walk to Wentworth P
Welcome to a lovely home high on the hill sitting on a double lot in the heart of Sydney close to the hospital and your daily needs, bus service and schools. A very well maintained 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath home with a nice deck, partially fenced yard and
It's all about location and here we have it in a very desirable neighborhood in Sydney. This beautiful 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 2-storey home is the perfect fit for a growing family. Attention has been given to the construction detail of this contemp
Welcome to you beautiful new home located on Atlantic street within the community of Ashby. This Sydney location gives you all of the conveniences of life with only a 6 minute drive to either the Cape breton regional hospital or the New location for
Visit REALTOR website for additional information.Located in the highly coveted Boulderwood neighbourhood of Sydney. Conveniently located near all amenities. Open concept living-kitchen space with islandand new countertops. Brand new deck off the kitc
Great investment opportunity. Two unit investment property fully rented in Whitney Pier. Furnace approximately 10 years, indirect hot water tank, sewer replaced to the main 8 years ago. Heat, lights, and hot water included in the rent. Book your appo
Beautifully maintained three bedroom bungalow in the desirable Boulderwood Subdivision. This home is a must see! Features include beautiful hardwood flooring, 3 bedrooms on the main level, wood burning fireplace, eat in kitchen, and patio doors out t
Welcome to 176 Lisgard St, this century home is loaded with character and charm with many modern touches. Large rooms throughout, with plenty of storage. The home features 4 Bedrooms and 2 Dens along with 3 Bathrooms. On the main level you will find
Here is a terrific and sensible business opportunity. This 6 unit building has been well maintained with many recent improvements. The building is close to downtown Sydney, Open Hearth park, near bus route and walking distance to schools and shopping
About Sydney, NS
Sydney, Nova Scotia is a coastal community of over 31,000 people. Located on Cape Breton Island, this city has a rich maritime history that locals are sure to take part in. Coined the largest urban centre on the island, Sydney attracts visitors from all over the province to see its beautiful and historic waterfront views. With humble beginnings starting in 1604, Sydney is now home to a richly diverse population of people from around the world.
As a city on the ocean, many of Sydney’s home-buying opportunities are on the waterfront. Overall, Sydney has homes that range in price depending on their size and location, with the average house costing around $149,000. The housing tends to be significantly more affordable than the Nova Scotia average and other Canadian cities.
The area’s economy centres around coal mining and fishing, but tourism now plays an important role because of attractions like Cabot Trail Scenic Drive and Fortress Louisbourg National Historic Site. Major employers in the area include Bowater Mersey, Michelin, and the Cape Breton Development Corporation. The Sydney business district is home to the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board, which regulates all oil exploration in Nova Scotia’s offshore area.
Sydney is home to Cape Breton University and a campus of Nova Scotia Community College, and many elementary and secondary schools. With both private and public options to choose from, Sydney is sure to have the education opportunities your family needs.
Sydney also has several museums such as The Coastal Discovery Centre of Cape Breton, Cape Breton Miners’ Museum, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Archives, and Cape Breton Centre for Craft. Located within the Discovery Centre is a planetarium and an observatory that put on public shows. Sydney is also close to Alexander Graham Bell’s first telephone factory and the oldest Protestant church in North America, St. Paul’s Anglican Church. Don’t forget to lock in your Sydney experience with a visit to the World’s Largest Fiddle!
This vibrant community has much to offer – whether you are purchasing your first home or upgrading to a new one. The city’s vibrant and active community is sure to impress as you explore this area of Nova Scotia.
Sydney is connected to the mainland by ferry. The Cabot Trail Scenic Drive along Cape Breton Island runs through this city and is a great way to get around. The road that runs through Sydney is considered one of the best scenic drives in the world. The roads are well-kept, and driving around the area provides just as beautiful of an experience as walking would. Speaking of walking, because it’s a small coastal town, walking and biking are popular options for Sydney locals. The JA Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport is also nearby to provide flights in and out of the city.
Distance to Nearby Cities
- 19km (12 miles) to New Waterford
- 20km (12 miles) to Glace Bay
- 22km (14 miles) to North Sydney
- 398km (247 miles) to Halifax
Things To Do in Sydney, NS
This coastal city is full of interesting things to see. With activities and attractions as unique as its culture, Sydney won’t leave you bored (especially if you love nature). Here are some of our favourite spots to check out:
- The Sydney Downtown Development Association is a great place to start looking for what’s happening downtown. Check their activities page often to find events or festivals, such as the many local craft fairs in the summer months. You can also sign up for their newsletter, where they list all of the events and local happenings.
- The Big Fiddle is located at the heart of downtown Sydney and is one of the most unique things to do in town. It’s a giant instrument you can climb on and explore, which overlooks an outdoor sculpture park full of beautiful art to view. The park even hosts public events throughout the year if you want to stop by and check it out.
- Located in downtown Sydney, this is the place to go for all things handmade and locally designed. The centre offers visitors a chance to view over 60 galleries, and local artisans at work. There are also live demonstrations by some of the designers themselves! Stop by again during holiday weekends for special events or open houses throughout the year.
- Located about 20 minutes outside of Sydney, this park is the perfect place to go for a hike. There are numerous trails and bridges with gorgeous views of the ocean. Located along the Bras d’Or Lake, Petersfield Provincial Park has fishing available all year-round as well.
- This is an easy trail to explore with the whole family. The trail takes you through a coastal forest, right up to a sandy beach overlooking the Bras d’Or Lake. You can stop by Baille Ard Lighthouse on your way back up for a breathtaking view of Cape Breton Island. The entire hike should take about 2 hours to complete, with plenty of stops along the way to enjoy the scenery.
- This museum offers a glimpse into Nova Scotian history, as it is one of the oldest homes in Sydney. The home was built for merchant Ludwig Jost and his family who immigrated from Germany and lived there from 1831 to 1898. Now you can explore this beautiful building guided by historic interpreters dressed in traditional Victorian clothing. You’ll also get to try your hand at weaving and even make a craft of your own.
- For a fun night out, join the locals at the Breton Brewing Co. Not only will you get to sample some of their award-winning beer available in Sydney or Halifax, but you can even go for the “tasting flights,” which include 4 small samples of brews paired with local cheeses. You’ll also get to watch a video on the brewery’s history and how they make their beer.
- If you’re interested in learning the history of Nova Scotia’s indigenous people, then this is a must-see for you. Located on the East side of Sydney, Membertou Heritage Park showcases the rich Mi’kmaq culture, which was once thriving in Sydney and surrounding areas. Walk along the walking trails or watch an outdoor theatre performance about the Mi’kmaq people.
- If you’re a fan of military history, check out this memorial located on the corner of George and Sydney Streets. The monument holds the names of every Merchant Navy war casualty in Sydney from WWI and WWII. There are also two cannons and a sword mounted nearby which were once used as protection for Nova Scotia during wartime.
- Built in the 1800s, this historic home now functions as a museum on Sydney’s downtown waterfront. You’ll get to explore 4 separate rooms filled with furniture from different periods as well as traditional household items. The Cossit House Museum also holds special events throughout the year that you can sign up for when planning your trip.
Sydney Day Trips
Looking to explore a bit more of what Nova Scotia has to offer? Lucky for you, Sydney is within just a few hours of some unforgettable day trips. Here are some of our favourites to get you started:
- Come to see and hear about coal mining in Nova Scotia! This museum is a tribute to the miners who worked in Cape Breton for decades. It includes a mock mine tunnel, a locomotive, cars, and many exhibits telling the history of coal mining. The museum is a working coal mine where you can go underground on an original elevator from 1900 and learn about this time period first-hand. Only about 30 minutes away from Sydney, this is a great educational day trip for all ages!
- Discover the history and architecture in this well-preserved national historical site. Take a stroll through town to see where life was once lived during the 18th-century fishing boom. Don’t forget to climb 75 steps up to the historic Louisbourg Lighthouse, where you can see Cape Breton from above. Located on Cape Breton Island, this site is about 45 minutes away from Sydney and is a must-see!
- Step into the past in this restored heritage village. Walkthrough to explore what life was like during the early 1900s and visit some of the oldest buildings in Atlantic Canada, including a schoolhouse from 1881! The Highland Village Museum is dedicated to Nova Scotia’s Gaelic folk-life, and the nearby Eskasoni Cultural Journeys will teach you all about Mi’kmaq culture. Located about an hour away from Sydney, Iona Village is another great day trip to discover some history and culture Nova Scotia-style.
- Located about an hour and a half away from Sydney, this town is home to the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site. You can take a guided tour of his laboratory and see where he came up with many inventions that changed our lives. There are also multiple historical sites within Baddeck, such as The Old Post Office, St. Ann’s Academy, Keltic Lodge, and the Gibson Steps.