Malton is a diverse neighbourhood in Mississauga, ON, and is a small community northeast of the Toronto Pearson Airport. This is an established area with mature trees, winding streets, and lots of cultures. Keep reading about real estate in Malton while you’re searching for homes for sale in Ontario, and see if this is the place for you!
More About Malton Real Estate
Malton was originally settled in 1823 and was a modest village that consisted of a small hotel, a blacksmith, a cobbler, and a general store. Over the years, Malton has transformed into an area of over 38,000 people. Due to its location by the airport, it’s actually separated from the rest of Mississauga. This has allowed the residents of Malton to bond as a tight-knit community.
You can find Malton at the northeast corner of Mississauga with Toronto to the east and Brampton to the north. Hwy 407 runs along the north side of Malton, and Hwy 427 borders the east, while Hwy 410/403 runs up the middle, and Hwy 401 cuts through the neighbourhood diagonally.
Homes For Sale In Malton
A lot of the homes for sale in Malton are located in Victory Village near Lancaster Ave and Airport Road. Malton real estate primarily dates back to the 1950s and consists of mini salt-box style homes and simple bungalows. Other houses for sale in Malton were built from the 1960s to ‘80s and are a healthy mix of detached to semi-detached homes with brick and/or siding exteriors. The styles of these homes are ranch, split-level, and several brink bungalows.
Malton has a lot of apartment buildings and makes up about 40% of the homes in Malton. The rest are a mixture of single detached homes, duplexes, and townhomes. A lot of the dwellings in Malton consist of three to four bedrooms. About two-thirds of the residents own their homes, while the other third rents.
Like most of the Greater Toronto Area, there are two main languages spoken in Malton: English and French. Malton schools cater to both languages, with the Peel District School Board being for the English-language public schools, and the Conseil scolaire Viamonde serves as the French-language public schools. Public Schools in Malton include:
- Brandon Gate Public School
3800 Brandon Gate Dr, Mississauga, ON L4T 3V9
- Corliss Public School
3730 Corliss Crescent, Mississauga, ON L4T 2Z4
- Darcel Ave Sr Public School
7635 Darcel Ave, Mississauga, ON L4T 2Y2
- Dunrankin Drive Public School
3700 Dunrankin Dr, Mississauga, ON L4T 1V9
- Lancaster Junior Public School
7425 Netherwood Rd, Mississauga, ON L4T 2N7
- Marvin Heights Public School
7455 Redstone Rd, Mississauga, ON L4T 2B3
- Morning Star Middle School
3131 Morning Star Dr, Mississauga, ON L4T 1X3
- Ridgewood Public School
7207 Cambrett Dr, Mississauga, ON L4T 2R3
Lincoln M. Alexander Secondary School
3545 Morning Star Dr, Mississauga, ON L4T 1Y3
Although Malton is fairly small, due to its close proximity to the airport, the neighbourhood experiences a lot of action. There are several things to do, places to shop, and restaurants to eat at.
Parks and Recreation
There are various parks across Malton with lots to offer its residents. Some parks in Malton are:
- Elmcreek Park– Located off of Darcel Ave, Elmcreek Park has a lot to offer. Here you can find a playground, basketball courts, a community garden, a spray pad, and a multipurpose pad.
- Malton Village Park– Malton Village can be accessed from Beverley St. Here, Malton residents can play basketball, volleyball, softball, and tennis! You can also find a playground and multipurpose pad.
- Malton Adventure Playground– Located off of Derry Rd, Malton’s Adventure Playground is like a kid’s dream! This stunning playground features elements from different children’s tales which include two castles and carvings such as a turtle, princess, treasure chest, a dragon, and more!
- Malton Community Centre– This community centre serves as a hub for the locals to come together and enjoy activities at any time of the year. This is truly a multi-purpose centre and offers many things for its residents. Here you can find room spaces to rent, an arena for ice skating and hockey, a fitness centre decked out with exercise equipment and space for workout classes, as well as a gym with the capability to host basketball, badminton, soccer, volleyball, and more. They also have a pool with slides, a basketball net, a diving board, and more. The Malton Community Centre is also home to the Malton Library, which has all the latest technology and resources to serve the locals.
Shopping and Dining
There are several shops and restaurants throughout Malton, but there are a couple of hot spots in the neighbourhood dedicated to shopping and dining. The intersection of Hwy 5 and Hwy 7 is a hub of Punjabi shops and restaurants that are popular with the locals. Also, off of Gorewary Dr is the Westwood Square shopping mall with multicultural shops. Here you can find stores featuring African, Asian, and East Indian merchandise.
Travelling by vehicle is the most popular way Malton locals travel as parking is also easy to find. Biking is another common option as there are several bike paths throughout the neighbourhood. The public transit services are pretty extensive and serve the residents well. The MiWay transit, which operates in all of Mississauga, has routes in Malton as well.
Distance to Amenities in Malton
- William Osler Health System – Etobicoke General Hospital is about 13 minutes away.
- GO Bus and the train station is about 5 minutes away.
- Toronto Pearson International Airport is about 5 minutes away.